Reposted from The Guides with review comments in bold:
Here are 10 “unmistakable” signs of spiritual awakening:
1. A strong feeling that something major has changed inside you. You must have experienced something that forced your soul to wake up and show you the truth and this truth was so shocking to you that you could feel deep inside that you had been living in an illusion all this while. With time, you start feeling that you have changed as a person. You are transforming into someone you never imagined you could be. You become a better person and you can feel that.
Different words but somewhat similar to my experiences, except for the bit about becoming a “better person”. Becoming a better person is only a human ambition.
2. You start questioning the purpose of your life
Oh yes! Bewilderingly so… I feel stranded here.
Despite possessing everything that you need, you still feel incomplete and unaware. You desperately want to know the meaning of this world and the purpose of your life.You start questioning God, you start finding answers to afterlife, soul, spirituality and desire lasting happiness.
Yes, more or less. But there was no god in any of my experiences. I also prefer contentment to happiness, contentment is more profound and permanent than happiness.
3. You naturally start distancing yourself from people with whom your thoughts don’t match. These people can be the ones you were the closest to. After the awakening process has set in, your soul has already reached a higher vibrational frequency and therefore, cannot match up with the souls of lower frequency. People start telling you that you have changed, but you know that this is not a change but just your soul waking up! Slowly, your old relations break and new begin that help your soul to grow further.
Absolutely. At last count I have cut over 100 close friends and relatives from my life since my experiences. Their worldliness was oppressive. Cutting them out brought instant relief. The process continues to this day …
4. You become absolutely disinterested or at least less interested in materialistic aspects. Shopping, hanging out with friends, partying, wearing expensive clothes or decorating the house with expensive furniture etc, become alien to you. You want to indulge in soul-enriching activities like travelling, meditating, taking care of your physical, emotional and spiritual health like never before and the like. You don’t even feel like doing your regular job and look for doing things which have some purpose. This often makes you pursue your dreams because you realize how short life is and how much is to be learnt and done.
Absolutely, except for “pursuing dreams”. That sounds worldly. I have no earthly ambitions except to be self reliant. Otherwise all the world gets from me is legality, decency and honesty. I avoid all other attachments and human expectations.
5. You realize your earlier mistakes and negative habits
The mistakes that you made in the past haunt you to make you feel guilty. Your old negative habits like judging people, mocking people, back-biting, being selfish, talking rude etc. stand like humongous walls in front of you which you sense you need to break in order to see the good in you. These keep haunting you until you forgive yourself for what you did and try being a better person.
True, except for the trying to be a better person bit… though I do think it is axiomatic, automatic that you become increasingly detached from lust, anger, greed, attachments and ego in all their human personifications.
6. You are constantly sad/depressed about the what’s happening in the world.
Even if it’s just a TV news channel showing a murder or a newspaper mentioning the deteriorating climatic conditions, you feel utterly depressed, you feel like doing something to help people around you, to make this world a better place to live. You want to alleviate the world’s suffering by doing something, anything that you possibly can. This can even overwhelm you to such an extent that you start crying and feel as if all this is happening to you.
True, except for the crying bit. Thankfully the world is not as primitive as it used to be and more humans, still in a primitive state of development, have nevertheless never had it so good, despite passing appearances and hysterical reactions. All is well.
7. You become a healer. Every spiritually awakened person has the potential to become a spiritual healer. A spiritual healer is someone who has the power to spiritually and emotionally heal people. By this I mean, you feel like motivating and inspiring people, in fact, you might even develop the power of pulling away emotional blockage from people.
No, I am not aware of any personal healing properties. I know what people have to do to be content but have come to the conclusion only one in a million could benefit from any advice about it in their present state of unawareness of Reality. In any case Reality is in charge. Interference in Reality’s process by religions, isms, politics and ideologies is what currently ails the human race. These sociological human traits always fail. Reality is all there is. It is inexorable. It never fails. (And it only works with individuals). All is well.
8. You develop a very strong 6th sense. Your intuition suddenly gets alert.The universe, through your intuition will try to send you messages in the form of synchronicity (11.11, 22.22. and other number symbols) on clocks, roads, street signs, lift floor numbers, number on bills etc. that might click something in you to tell you that this has some meaning to it that you must pay attention to, these messages can also be in the form of prophetic dreams for not just yourself but also for the people that you know, meeting like minded people and people who are experiencing spiritual awakening etc. All this helps you in moving ahead in your journey of spiritual awakening.
In comparison with others I notice I have this ability somewhat, so instinctively avoid noisy “spiritual sleepwalkers” and threatening or unpleasant situations. I used it to develop the ability to disguise myself with small talk in my forties, with gratifying results when forced to deal with humans. Some wisdom schools call this particular use of the sixth sense “the cloak of invisibility”.
9. You get strongly connected to nature. You feel like being close to nature. You might feel like moving out of cities to live in the suburbs, or travel to places that are close to nature. You develop strong love for animals, you want to pet them or help them in some way.
Long, solo overnight sailing cruises have given me the most spiritually profound, satisfying days of my life – land based life not so much.
10. You experience physical changes. Spiritual awakening is like a nuclear bomb of energy as a result of which you may experience many physical changes like you may experience extreme weight gain or loss, tingling sensation at the top of your head, your sleeping pattern may get badly disrupted. You may feel excessively sleepy or not sleepy at all or feel like sleeping and waking up at odd hours of the day. Your appetite might also decrease, you might have frequent pain on the back of your neck and shoulder(s) and tingling sensation in your fingers.
Can’t say any of this applies to me.
10. You develop a creative personality. Suddenly, out of nowhere, you start getting a rush of creativity which could come out in the form painting, writing, poetry, pottery, tarot reading, travelling, playing any musical instrument, singing etc. You become gutsy and get the strength to dream again and dream big and not only that, you get the courage to fulfill them as well. The latter part comes in the later stages of awakening. In the very beginning you might feel the exact opposite, you might feel utterly hopeless or even suicidal, but as you progress in your journey all this pain subsides and you get the courage to fulfill your dreams.
Some creativeness was one of the lifesaving attributes I was graced with to endure being marooned here. As for having human dreams/ambitions, being graced with spirituality excluded such irrelevant personal attachments.
11. You accept yourself for who you are and don’t stop yourself from being your actual self. You feel free!
No matter for how long you have been willingly trying to be what others wanted you to, once your soul is awakened, you can no longer contain yourself from loving your actual identity. You stop caring of what people have to say about you and do only what gives you happiness. Despite going through myriad of sudden physical, emotional changes you have a strange feeling of being free, as if you have been set free. You start realizing that there’s only one true asset in life and that is eternal happiness.
Freedom is a human word with no relevance in the limitlessness of the mystical experience of Reality (MER) if my MER experiences are anything to go by.